Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Email Update 1

We finally arrived in Abu Dhabi last night (which actually would be yesterday afternoon for most of you). We got in at about 10:40 pm UAE time and Uncle Kin picked us up at the airport. We were pretty hungry so we stopped by Pizza Hut before we headed to the office apartments. I had to report to work that morning for a small training session and I was worried. I went to bed at around 2:15 am and they were picking me up around 9 am. It was okay though because we just toured a school and then everyone had other things to do, so I was back to the villa by 11:15 am. Mom, Levi and I walked two blocks to a Lebanese restaurant for lunch and then we visited a local bakery. At the bakery we ordered one of every little small cookie they had - there were about 30 cookies in the container when we were done! Even though it was only two blocks the walk there and back seemed longer because of the heat, but it wasn't unbearable. When we came back to the villa we all took a nap. We intended on 2 hours, but slept for 4!

Since that pretty much wasted the afternoon away we were ready to go shopping at the local "wal-mart," okay, its not wal-mart but just like it and just as busy. It's actually called Carrefour, but they had everything we needed. It's two levels - the first is a grocery store and the second is dry goods (electronics and clothes, etc). It took us three hours there! Levi got a cell phone and there were a ton of people standing around the phone kiosk, so it was impossible for anything to happen quickley. Really its our Friday night because the weekend is Friday and Saturday, so I am sure people got paid today and they were all out spending their money on stuff. Afterwards we ate some dinner and got home around midnight.

I actually feel tired so I am going to try to sleep and get on some sort of regular schedule. My first day of work is Sunday August 10th and it will be a week of training, so I hope it goes well.

No comments: