Tuesday, November 10, 2009

A New Highway


Well, we've been laying low for the last month. I guess a lot is due to the fact that we're really homesick right now and so we haven't really been exploring Dubai as much as we should. Sassafrass' Sister is coming in December, so we'll get a chance to see more and do some exploring to boot.


On the up side though, I did get a chance to drive over the new expressway linking Abu Dhabi island, Yas Island, and Saadiyat Island on Monday night. I drove in for a meeting on Monday and then my uncle suggested I try the new expressway over the water and "island hop" as he called it. It was dark so I didn't get to see the water, but it is a huge highway that cut right around all of the busy traffic in the city and took me straight to the highway to Dubai!

After you leave the island of Abu Dhabi you drive over 1.4 km of Sheikh Khalifa Bridge (http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091014/NATIONAL/910149971/1021) to Saadiyat Island. This is where they are building all sorts of amazing museums - a branch of the Louve and a Guggenheim masterpeice (just like we have in Denver). To read more about it just click the link: http://www.saadiyat.ae/en/ It should be amazing when it's all completed!!!

There is another small bridge that takes you to Yas Island. Yas Island is where they just ran the Formula One Grand Prix. An incredible event for those that love F1 racing. After looking at the website I found that many other things are to be built on the island over the next year or so - including a Warner Bros. Theme Park! Check out the link to see some pictures and find out what else it will have to offer: http://yasisland.ae/Default_en_gb.html The picture at the top of my blog is from the Yas Island website and portrays the Yas Hotel, which was lit up when I drove past so I was able to see it.
When I returned home that evening I told ThickBlackGlasses that we must go to Abu Dhabi soon and take that drive in the daytime. If we do you can be sure that pictures will follow :)

No comments: