Sunday, April 26, 2009

Visas

Well I think after 8 months of waiting that I may finally have my residency visa!!! When I first arrived they asked for quite a bit of paperwork and I have to admit that I was a little slow in turning them in, but 5 months later the paperwork has been processed. We are in the last few days of the process, the final papers are being filed and within a few days I will go in for a blood test. Once these things are complete then I will be an official "temporary" resident of the United Arab Emirates.

The visa will last for 3 years and allows me to work during that time for my current employer. I believe the visa can be continually renewed until a person is of retirement age. Once you retire you are kicked out back to your home country - even if you were born here! (Okay let me explain that one: a co-worker's parents came from India, he was born here, but is not a UAE national, so when he retires he will be kicked out and must return to India, a place that he has never lived!)

After 8 months of running for the border I will no longer be obliged to go out of my way to update my visa. This will really help me to move onto other worries that are bothering me....

No comments: